Wednesday, May 7, 2008

I can't support the resurrection of shoulder pads


Ever notice how the mannequins in the stores always look so damn good in the clothes? For example, I go into GAP yesterday, see (what appears to be) an awesome sweater on a mannequin. Then I put this sweater on and it looks like crap. It’s not an awesome sweater, it’s not even a “just okay” sweater… But the mannequin works it.

Anyway, the point of this is, mannequins seldom look bad. So why and how did Victoria Beckham (who is obviously an automated, somewhat life-like mannequin/robot, probably designed by the Japanese) manage to look like a newlywed Morticia Addams this week? I’m all for vintage, but only when it’s like 1950’s Audrey Hepburn-ish vintage. Not 1989 “vintage”. Less than 20 years is not vintage – it’s just an old dress! At least she didn’t smile for the cameras – I get all freaked out when I see robots smile. They have yet to master the display of humanistic emotions.

No comments: