Tuesday, May 13, 2008

we're not as good as we think we are

Like everyone else, I've been following the Democratic Primaries in the States. I'm on Team Obama. This is the first election I can think of (and perhaps that's because I'm only 24) where you really need to have a side, or at least an opinion. It's not really favourable to not have an opinion on the matter. I mean, how can one not jump at the opportunity to pledge allegiance to either the potential first black American president, or the potential first female American president?

It is obviously disappointing that, in 2008, it is such a big deal that a black and/or female candidate is in contention for the presidency of the world's leading superpower. This should have already happened, at least 30 years ago and then several times over; it shouldn't be such an anomaly. Obviously, it's fantastic that the Democratic leadership race has generated a renewed interest in politics (Michael Moore is wishing he came up with this). In a country where (something like) 2% of the people control 80% of the wealth, minority representation is long overdue.

Forget the Americans (I'm not a huge fan of them anyway); how does this reflect upon Canada? It was recently announced that Caucasians are now statistically a minority in Toronto. There are more women in Canada than there are men. Name two significant female politicians in our recent history? I'm embarassed to say I can only come up with Kim Campbell (Prime Minister for 5 minutes in 1994?) and Belinda Stronach (she was politician, but I only know that because she dated Tie Domi). And name a signficant visible minority politician? Unfortunately, I can't. That's embarassing for me and my country.

Oh, you want me to say Michaelle Jean, because she is both a visible minority and a female? Bullshit - I have no idea what the Governor General even does. Queen's representative? What does that even mean? Men wink behind her back as she signs the dotted line. Of course it's easy to put a women in diplomatic positions - we lack the testosterone that makes recordings from the House of Commons sound like they were recorded at an Irish pub. But the actual influence of the Governor General is questionable.

Blaming old white men is boring; women and visible minorities need to help themselves. Even the Americans have beat us to it. It's a truly sad commentary on a country that prides itself on multiculturalism and diversity.

No comments: